Wednesday, July 1, 2015

10 Inspirational Books that Changed My Life and Could Change Yours Too

by Kathryn Sandford       10 min read


“Read, read, read. Read everything – trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You’ll absorb it.” William Faulkner

There are two specific events that that threw my life into a tailspin, where for a while there it felt seemed like I was losing control. These two events were, the sudden and tragic loss of my parents and being made redundant three times in eighteen months.

As a result of these events I have embarked on what I would describe as two journeys.  One was a personal journey of healing and the other was a journey of reinvention. Both of which are life long journeys’ that I am, of course, still on.


When dealing with grief, the healing process for me wasn’t about personal change or transformation. Healing was about understanding the process of grief and how I could best manage it so that it didn’t paralyse my life.

With the third redundancy I was at my lowest point in my life. I felt utterly useless.

“I have been made redundant before, and it is a terrible blow; redundant is a rotten word because it makes you think you are useless.” —Billy Connolly

My self-confidence was at zero and I could see no future for me. I am a natural optimist and I like to feel happy and to have hope in my life. So when I started to feel there was no hope for me and I had no personal worth I began to get scared. So what helped me get my self worth and my life back on track?

Well, I started to read books.

I read lots of books, inspirational stories on life, love and happiness. Personal development and motivation books that were full of information, tools and strategies about how you could take control back and change your life.

What I would like to share with you are 10 inspirational messages I got from reading these books. These books helped me to change my life and embark on my journey of reinvention.

If you are facing personal life challenges and you know you have to take action and change but not sure how, then these 10 inspirational books could help you to get started on your journey.


Awaken The Giant Within; Antony Robbins


I refer to this book as the “bible for personal development”. It is probably one of the most famous books about personal development in the world.

The main message I got from the book for me was, that I had the power right now to control how I think, how I feel, and what I do. Anything I want or desire in my life I have the power to achieve it.

I hold within me the power and the energy force to achieve all of my dreams – hence the title of the book “Awaken the Giant Within”.

Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You Were Meant to Live; Martha Beck

I really love this book. Its fun, its easy to read and it also has lots of strategies and tools to help you find your North Star. Your North Star is about you finding your passion and purpose in life.

From reading this book I gained a better understanding of how to deal with internal conflict and my feelings of unhappiness, discontentment and dissatisfaction.

The tools and strategies are really good. When I completed the exercises I had more clarity about how to manage my inner conflict and dialogue. I also was able to identify the fears that for many years stopped me from chasing my dream to be a writer, speaker and coach.




YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE


Have Heroes that Inspire you

We all need heroes, someone to look up to. The  people who you choose as heroes,mentors or idol(whatever you may call them) are a reflection of who you are or who you want to be. So choose people who add true value to your life. When I was young my heroes were the firemen, nowadays they are people who have succeeded inspite of difficulties. Someone who have become successful like Bill Gates, Walt Disney, Donald Trump and many more. 




No comments:

Post a Comment