Saturday, July 30, 2016

Inspirational Article : My dad was called 'stupid' in high school and now he's a successful entrepreneur — here are the 5 best lessons he's taught me about life - Business Insider

After so many years, I happen to meet up with an old classmate. He was going to some tough times. The company that he works for was cuttinng down staff due to the slump in the oil prices. It was a petroleum based company. He was worried cause he has never reached a managerial position in the company. He needed a job to match the money that he was getting there. So he had to look for a managerial position. He was amazed at how high I have reach as I was just average in school and he was so much better than me academically.  Later after chit chatting we found out that those not so clever in class was leading a much better life than those brilliant students. So what this shows is that school doesn't necessarily guarantee a great future. Your attitude is more important.

Here is an article written by a proud daughter about her dad's determination to suceed even though he was called "stupid". Below is an excerpt from the article, if you would like more just click on the link.


My dad was called ‘stupid’ in high school and now he’s a successful entrepreneur — here are the 5 best lessons he’s taught me about life

3. Hard work trumps talent and intelligence every time

My dad was not a great student in high school. He routinely got into trouble, and his teachers told him that he was stupid. 
When he couldn’t get into a good college in Indonesia, his father shipped him off to the US. He loved telling my brother and me the story of how he successfully begged the dean of a community college, in broken English, to let him in. 
He says that before he went to college, he didn’t understand the concept of hard work. So to catch up with his peers, he put his head down, studied, and didn’t watch TV or socialize until he worked up a GPA high enough to transfer to Boston University. 
After graduating from college, he moved back to Indonesia and worked in banking for several years. Since then, he’s built several businesses in Indonesia and New Zealand, mainly in commercial property development.
He always told me not to be intimidated by people with titles or talent, and never to discount the possibility of achieving something big.


No comments:

Post a Comment