Friday, June 21, 2013

Some More Ways How the Art of War can help you

Rallying your Team for a Common Cause
"Asked if an army can be made to imitate the shuai-jan, I should answer, Yes. For the men of Wu and the men of Yueh are enemies; yet if they are crossing a river in the same boat and are caught by a storm, they will come to each other's assistance just as the left hand helps the right." Chapter 11. THE NINE SITUATIONS Verse 30
 I use this normally to rally my staff together. There was a few new hotels coming up in our area. I constantly brief my team, saying that while it looks like they are a threat to our business. It is also a blessing in disguise. That if we provide good service and good food now, we will build a good reputation. They might try to stay there cause its new but they will come to our restaurants cause our service and food is good. This will then rally my team to work hard to build our reputation, therefore improve our business. There their incentives will also increase.

No Turning Back, Never Give Up
" At the critical moment, the leader of an army acts like one who has climbed up a height and then kicks away the ladde behind him. He carries his men deep into hostile territory before he shows his hand" Chapter 11: THE NINE SITUATIONS Verse 38 Another Quote for this is "Burn your bridge behind you" I use this normally when I move to a new job or take on a new position. I always say to myself that there's no turning back. I have go on no matter what. Recently i assumed a higher position in my workplace. The job was going to be very challenging as the company was not making much money in the past. The person before me (my former boss) didn't do enough to bring in any business. My challenge if I accepted this position was to bring in business. Well I wrote my goals for one year and didn't look back. This time the soldiers was not my employee but my mind. I set my mind that there was no turning back. What follows this verse is " He burns his boats and breaks his cooking pots, like a shepherd drving a flock of sheep, he drives his man this way and that, and nothing knows whither he is going." Chapter 11. THE NINE SITUATIONS. Verse 39

No comments:

Post a Comment